Bedford, Ohio History
The town of Bedford Ohio was originally part of Bedford Township in the Western Reserve. This was land surveyed in 1797 for the Connecticut Land Company. Early settlers were attracted by the large water fall for mill sites and the abundance of natural resources. As trade and commerce developed, Bedford became an important stop for travelers between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
Bedford is at the heart of the prosperous tri-county area, with easy accessibility to nearby Interstate freeways. It is a short distance from popular tourist attractions in the region. Just down the road is the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. One fifth of Bedford's land is part of the Bedford Reservation of the Cleveland Metro Parks. Here you will find the famous Tinker's Creek Gorge. Bedford has a rich, well-documented history. Its historic landmark buildings and Public Square are all included in the Bedford Historic District. It is also a festival city with many seasonal events.
Memorials On The Commons
This website and all contents is © 2014 Bedford Historical Society All rights reserved.Bedford Historical Society · PO Box 46282 · Bedford, OH 44146-0282 · (440) 232-0796